Historical information related to Esh Parish
The Durham County Record Office is responsible for the collection and preservation of archives and records relating to
County Durham and the Borough of Darlington, and also for making those records available for the purposes of study and
research. If you are interested in learning more about the service why not visit their web site
As an introduction to the type of information that can be viewed in the Record Office we have copied extracts from
two particularly informative books, which provide some interesting historical information on some of the villages and
hamlets in our Parish.
The first of these is an extract from:-
KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DURHAM AND NORTHUMBERLAND 1938
and the second an extract from:-
HISTORY, TOPOGRAPHY, AND DIRECTORY OF THE COUNTY PALATINE OF DURHAM by FRANCIS WHELLAN & CO 1894
We would like to thank the County Record Office for the supply of this material and hope to include further extracts
of other interesting local history books at a later date. We would also like to acknowledge the work of the authors,
publishers and numerous contributors to these works.
KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DURHAM AND NORTHUMBERLAND 1938
| 108 Eldon || DURHAM || [Kelly's
CLOSE HOUSE, Bishop Auckland.
PRIVATE RESIDENT. Oliver John Basil Dickinson,Vyner st
COMMERCIAL. Bishop Auckland Industrial Co-operative Society Limited
Bramley Wm. shopkpr. Gurney
Buist Harry, boot & shoe repr
Cleasby Thos. fruitr
Close House Workmen's Club Limited
(J. Roberts, sec)
Dent Lawrence, shopkeeper
Douglass Theodore, draper & undertaker; complete funeral furnisher
Eleanor Hannah (Mrs.), fried fish dlr
Holmes Margt. (Mrs.), shopkpr
Kay Daisy (Miss), shopkeeper &
Longstaffe M. A. (Mrs.), fried fish dlr
Lowes B. fried fish dlr
Mason Harry, boot dlr
Oliver John Basil Dickinson L.R.C.P. & S.Edin. physcn. & surgn. Vyner st. T N Bishop Auckland 343
Race & McNaughton, drapers
Royal Hotel (Mrs. Elsie Roxborough)
Rutherford Thomas, auctioneer
Storey Ralph, shopkpr. Gurney villa
Turner Sarah Mary (Miss), shopkpr
Wallwork Damarias (Miss), electrical
engineer, draper & general dealer
ELSTOB, township, 1½ m. N. from Stainton-le-Street, which see; 738 acres; pop. 54.
ELTON, township, vil. and par. 3 m. S.W. from Stockton-on-Tees; 1,893 acres; pop. 142.
(For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Jarvis Rev. Frank Deans B.A., L.Th.,hon. C.F. (rector), The Rectory Ropner
Mrs. Elton hall
Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over. °Brodie Jsph. farmer, Viewly hill °Chadfield
Jsph. Letch, farmer, Home farm
Grainger Fredk. frmr.Gooseberry frm
Hopkinson A. B. pig dlr. Quarry ho
°Hunter Christphr. Jn. farmer, Sandyleas farm
Pennock Christphr. jobbing gardener,
Sunnyfield, Whinney hill (letters through Stockton direct)
Rane Geo. Wm. farmer, Glebe farm
Sutton Arms Hotel (Wm. Edwd. Davis). Hartburn 26
Thompson Peter, farmer, Town farm
Thompson Thos. Wltr. farmer, Smith House farm
Walker Rt. gardener to Mrs. Ropner
Wilkinson Hy. & Son, farmers,
Spring House farm
Wright Jn. farmer, Moor ho
ELWICK, township and vil 2m S.S.W. from Hart, which see; Post Off.; 2,302 acres; pop. 278.
ELWICK HALL, par. 9 m. N.E from Stockton-on-Tees; 4,440 acres pop. 204.
ELWICK HALL, Wolviston, Stockton-on-Tees.
Marked thus || letters through Great-ham, Stockton-on-Tees.
Marked thus †letters through West
Hartlepool. Marked thus* letters through Elwick Castle Eden.
Marked thus ‡ letters through Wolviston,
Marked thus ° farm 130 acres or over
‡Battersby Geo. Fredk. farmer Newton Hanzard
‡Boland George Israel, farmer, High Burn toft
†Carr Rt. farmer, High Stotfold
†Darling Francis William, farmer,
Gunnersvale ‡Darling Mary (Miss), frmr. Stob ho
†Hutchinson Arth. farmer, Low Stotfold
†Hutchinson Wm. farmer, High Stotfold
‡Hutchinson Rt. Brown, farmer, Newton Hanzard
||Linton Thos.farmer,MiddleBurn toft
||Lockey Allan Greenwell, farmer, Low Burn toft
†Nichol Bros. farmers, Middle Stotfold
*Palmer Mrs. farmer, Stotfold moor
‡Sanderson Jsph. farmer, Amerston hall
‡Shepherd Wm. farmer, The Close
*Wilson Thos. farmer, High Barns
EMBLETON, township, 3 m. N.E. from Grindon, which see; 3,425 cres; pop. loa.
EPPLETON (Hetton Downs), ½m. from Hetton-le-Hole, which see; Sub-Post Off. (called Hetton Downs);
EPPLETON—GREAT, 1 m.from Hetton-le-Hole, which see.
EPPLETON--LITTLE, 1 m. N. from Hetton-le-Hole, which see.
ESCOMB, ecc. par. 2½ m. W. from Bishop Auckland sta.; Post Off.;pop. 1,101.
ESCOMB, Bishop Auckland.
Marked thus * letters through Witton Park, Bishop Auckland.
Bainbridge Miss Elizabeth M.B., B.S. Fermoy house
Hitchcock Rev. Ralph Wightwick
B.A.Camb. (vicar), The Vicarage
Ingel Inn (Wm. Young)
Atkinson Norman, haulage contrctr. Bishop Auckland 311
Bainbridge Miss Elizabeth M.B., B.S. physician & school medical officer to Durham County Council, Fermoy house
Blades William, farmer
*Brown Rt. farmer, Tile sheds,Woodside
Bussey Geo. farmer,California farm, Woodside
Cama Dhun Boman L.R.C.P. & S. Edin., L.R.F.P. & S.Glas. physcn.& surgn. (attends tues., thurs. & sat),
17 High Escomb
Cemetery (Brian Bell, supt)
Clarke Mary H. (Mrs.), shopkpr. Three Lane Ends
Dickson Jn. farmer
Dixon Ronald, poultry dlr. Hawthorn ho. Bishop Auckland 421
Dowson Fredk. fruitr
Dowson Jn Jsph. farmer, Three Lane Ends
Durham County Council Relief Scheme (P. H. Steel, Warden in charge of
Escomb Village Hall & Welfare Sports Ground (J. J. Rogan, hon, sec)
Gibson Mary A. (Mrs.), shopkpr
Gibson Rd. Whittaker, fried fish dlr
Hopps Ernest Thompson, farmer
Primrose hill Hughes Mary (Mrs.), statnr. & post office
Royal Oak P.H. (Jsph. Cecil Wright)
Scales Chas. poultry farmer Suddick
Joseph Madison, greengrocer. Bishop Auckland 484
Suddick's Used Cars & Spares (J. M, Suddick, propr.); cars dismantled; spare parts for sale. Bishop Auckland 464
Sullivan Martha (Mrs.), shopkpr
Widdas Jas. poultry farmer, Orchard ho
ESH, township and vil. 5 m. W.N.W. from Durham; Post Off.; 2,647 acres; pop. 6,889.
(For TN's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Blomeley Rev. Cyril (vicar), Vicarage
Cogan *Rev. Hugh D.D. (Roman Catholic), Esh Laude
Holohan Rev. Martin (Roman Catholic), Esh Laude
Rutter Joseph W. Vale view
Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.
Annfield Plain Industrial Co-operative Society Ltd. (branch). Langley
°Bee Thomas Walton & Stephen, farmers. Flass farm (postal address, Flass hall, Durham)
Cook Ernest, market gardener, Ternperance cott. Flass
Cross Keys P.H. (Jn. Woods)
farmer. North frm
Graham Thos. farmer, Heugh farm
°Hankey Edwd. farmer, Esh hall &
Hill Top farm
Hedley George, farmer, Lower ft High Finings (postal address, Langley Park, Durham)
Holmes Wm. & Thos. farmers,Glebe
Iveson Jas. haulage contrctrs. Langley Park 237
Kidd William, farmer, Greenland
farm (postal address, Quebec, Durham)
O’Connelly Jennie. (Mrs.), grocer
Rutter Edwd. & Sons, bldrs. TN Langley Park 212
Sisters of Charity Convent.
T N Langley Park 217
Thompson Sarah Ann (Mrs.), post office. Langley Park 224
Wilson Thos. farmer, Hag ho
ESH WINNING, Durham.
(For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Gibbons Rev. Redmond (Roman Catholic), Newhouse road
Irvine John A. 2 Station avenue
Harold (Methodist), The Manse, Acton road
Rollin Henry C., M.B. Deerness ho
Wyllie Donald Gordon, Esh villa
Annfield Plain Industrial Co-operative Society Ltd. (branch), Newhouse rd. T N 48
Bee Mary Ann (Mrs.), dairy, 51 Durham rd
Bell Lilly (Miss), shopkpr. 16 Newhouse rd
Blackett Clifford, ladies' hairdrssr. 7 Station av
Bland Eliz. (Mrs.), fried fish dlr. 64 Durham rd
Brown Wm. genl. & shoeing smith
Burden Doris (Miss),ladies' hairdrssr. 5 Durham r'd
Bushby Eda (Mrs.), milliner, 7 New-house rd. & 7 & 8 Durham rd
Bushby Hy. shopkpr. 65 Durham rd
Crook & Neighbourhood Co-operative Society Ltd. 29 Durham rd
Dewar Jn. watch mkr. 12 Durham rd
Dodds Jas. Jackson, smith, 23 Newhouse rd
Duffey Jas. farmer, New House frm
Elite (The) Stores, grocers, 55 Durham rd
| Directory.] || DURHAM || ESH. 109
Elliott Maurice Dale & Sons,printers. T N 39
Elliott Eliz. (Miss), confetnr. 8 Newhouse rd
Esh & Waterhonses Workmen's Club Ltd. (Geo. Herbt. Beecham, sec.), 5-7 Newhouse rd
Esh' Winning Workmen's Club Ltd. (Sam Dove, sec.), Durham rd
Field Win. & Sons, fried fish dirs. 4 Durham rd. T N 35
Funnel Charlotte (Mrs.) & Sons, confctnrs. 6 Station view
Gott Herbt. Hartley, confctnr
Harrison A. M. dentist (attends thurs.), 18 Station view
Ivey Stephen Oxenharn, baker, 31 Durham rd
James Thos. & Sons, drapers, 5 Station av
Jenkins Danl. sbopkpr. 58 Durham rd
Lloyds Bank Ltd. (S. J. T. Eacott, manager )(open daily
from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. & sat. from 10 a.m. to 12 noon) (T N 47); head office, 71 Lombard st. London E C 3
McCalluin Jn. statnr. & post office, 2 Newhouse rd
McDermott Jn. draper. 2 Westview, Newhouse rd
Mallen Jas. omnibus propr. 2 Wood view. T N 65
Manattini Peter, confctnr
Meadow Dairy Co. Ltd. grocers, 9 Durham rd
Melrose Thos. chemist &: druggist, 5 Station view. T N 34
Milburn Rodham, insur. agt. 3 Wood view
Moses Mary (Mrs.), milliner, Newhouse rd
Newhouse Club & Institute Ltd. (Jn. Morris, sec.), Newhouse rd
Newton E. V. & C. (Misses), confctnrs. 41 Durham rd
Norton J. Ltd. house furnishers, 39 Durham rd
Patterson Geo. fruitr. 17 Durham rd
Pavilion (Fred Heslop, mngr)
Pearson Win. T. butcher, 10 Durham rd
Pease & Partners Ltd. coal owners & coke burners,Esh Winning: colliery. TN43
Raine I. & Son, newsagents, stationers, booksellers, & library, 1 Durham road
Rollin Henry C., M.B., B.S.Durh. physen. (firm, Rollin & Dickinson), Deerness ho. TN 32
Rolph Rt. Wm. plumber to Weardale Water Works, Station av
Scott Jas. Wm. cycle, radio & fancy goods dlr. 6 Durham rd
Smith G. W. & Sons, butchers, 3 Durham rd
Stag's Head & Station Hotel (R. W. Blackett)
Swan Annie (Miss), milliner, 48 Durham rd
Taylor Isabella (Mrs.), refrshmnt. rms. 1 Station view
Thompson Jn. Wm. draper, 4 Newhouse rd
Wallis Eliz. (Mrs.), confctnr. 15 Durham rd
Weavers Rt. Foster, hairdrssr. 2 Station view
Weirs Jas.J. boot & shoe repr. 6 Durham rd
Wilkinson Geo. Pinkney, joiner
Willson Walter Ltd. provsn. dlrs Station view
Woodward Fredk. Jas. omnibus propr. Westview garage, Newhouse rd TN 23
Letters should have Esh added
Board Inn (T. Meegan)
Pearson Frances (Miss), shopkeeper
Wallace Geo. farmer, Northview
LANGLEY PARK, Durham.
(For T N see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Barnett Rev.Eric Stanistreet (curate)
Rogers John, Stobbilee house
Rutherford Robert M.B. The Firs
Rutter Edward, 16 Front street
Rutter Robert, 15 Front street
Westhorpe Thomas, Wallnook
Ancient Noble Order of United Odd-fellows (Bolton Unity) Friendly Society (Rose of Langley Lodge, No. 669)
(N. Finley, sec)
Anderson Nicholas, newsagt Annfield Plain
Industrial Co-operative Society Ltd. (branch of). TN 220
Ardley Jn. & Son, fried fish dlrs. Quebec st
Atkinson Albt. farmer, Wallnook
Bowdon Rt. painter & decrtr
Brumley Jack, farmer, Woodside
British' (The) & Argentine Meat Co.Ltd. butchers
Burdon Thos. shopkpr. Quebec st;
Burrell Jn. shopkpr
Carpenter Thos. greengro. Quebec st
Consett Iron Co. Ltd. Langley Park colliery. TN 330
Cousin Jsph. printer
Dobbin Arthur William, butcher
Douglas Geo. Croudace, shopkpr
Forster W. grocer, Quebec st
Gerry Ethel (Mrs.), grocer
Graham Rt. shopkpr. Quebec st
Groves Saml. cartage contrctr. 5; May ter. TN 234
Hand Wilkinson, confctnr
Harrison John, boot repairer
Hunter J. & H. (Misses), bakers
Iveson J. W. carpenter
James A. L. confctnr'
Jobling & Hepburn, grocers
Johnson Edwd. fried fish dlr
Keenlyside Connie (Mrs.), ladies' hairdrssr. Quebec st
King's Cinema (W & M. A. Dunn. proprs)
Lanchester Joint Hospital Board Infectious Diseases Hospital (Wm. Morison M.B., Ch.B.Glas. medical officer:
Miss Elsie Bowyer, matron)
Langley Park Carrying Co. cattle carriers. TN 345
Langley Park Hotel (Wm. Spivan Berriman)
Langley Park Literary Institute &. Library (Jn. Wilson Hall, sec)
Langley Park (The) Motor Co. motor engnrs
Langley Park Workmen's Club & Institute Limited (Jas. Edwd. Newell,
sec. ; Wm. Newman, caretaker)
Lloyds Bank Ltd. (sub-branch) (open mon. wed. & Fri. 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.); head
office, 71 Lombard st. London E C 3
Martins Bank Ltd. (sub-branch to Durham) (open on mon. wed. & fri. 10 a.m.
to 1 p.m.), 47 Front st. ; Head office, Water st. Liverpool 2
Masserilli Andrew, confctnr
Meadow Dairy Co. Ltd. grocers &c
Metcalfe's Stores Ltd. grocers. Quebec st. TN241
Morland T. shopkpr. 16 Quebec st Mansey Frances (Mrs.), smith
New Hippodrome (Ernest Little. lessee & manager)
North Fredk. Geo. hairdrssr
Pearson Win. butcher
Rutherford Robert M.B., B.S.Durh. physician & surgeon & medical
officer to the Consett Iron Co.’s collieries & public vaccinator to the Lanchester district & police surgn.The
Firs (T N 215;); surgery, 28 Front st
Rutter Edwd. & Sons, bldrs. TN 211
Station Hotel (Jsph. Hodgson)
Tatters Gertrude (Mrs.), greengro
Teasdale Fredk. carpntr
Thompson's Stores, grocers. T N 231
Thompson Stanley, fried fish dlr
Thompson Wltr. hairdrssr. Quebec st
Twidel M. E. & A. (Misses), confectioners, Prospect villa
Watson Geo. Simpson, insnr. agt
Watson Thos. Ripon,draper,Quebec st
Willson Walter Ltd. grocers
USHAW MOOR, Durham.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS. (For T N's see general list of
Private Residents at end of book.)
Dickinson James Winter M.B., B.S. Waltons terrace
Shelley Rev. Michl.
(Roman Catholic) (parish priest)
Wearmouth Joseph, Carlton house
Welby Rev. John Holberton Pugin M.A. (vicar),
Residents at St. Cuthbert's College.
Bonnoy Rev. Edwin
Clifford Rev. Charles
Corbishley Right Rev. Mgr. Charles M.A. (president)
Cunningham Rev. John
Curry Rev. Osmund
Dickenson Rev. Samuel B.A
Dunne Rev. William B.A
Meagher Rev. Robert Ph.D., D.D., M.A. (vice-president)
Stephens Rev. Edward
Towers Rev. Edward Ph.D., D.D. (procurator)
Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.
Albion House Club (Frank Mountain, sec)
Alderson Robert William, carpenter & joiner & undertaker, 1 Durham road. TN Brancepeth 207
Ann (Mrs.), confectioner, 16 Station rd
Anderson Mary (Mrs.), grocer
Bell John, farmer, Cockhouse farm
Broughs Ltd. grocers &c. (Stephen Nicholson, mngr.), 62 Station rd. New Brancepeth 205
Brown Sydney, baker, 67
Brown William, general smith & horse shoer; agricultural implements repaired; Ransomes, Sims & Jefferies
metals &c. always in stock; & at Esh Winning
Burn Louisa (Mrs.), shopkpr
Burnip Nelly (Miss), ladies
hairdrssr. 66 Station rd
Cleghorn Nancy (Mrs.), confectnr. 23 Station rd
Crook & Neighbourhood Co-operative
Society Ltd. 2 Station rd
Denholm Wm. H., M.B., B.S.Durh. physcn. & surgn. (attends daily)
Dent Tallentire, baker, Durham rd
Dickinson Jas. Winter M.D. B. S. Durh physen. (firm. Rollin &, Dickinson), Waltons
ter. New Brancepeth 221
°Dixon Jn. Geo. farm bailiff to St. Cuthbert's college, Home farm
Dixon Rt.J.hardware dlr.3 Station rd
Empire (Jsph. Hateley, propr)
Flass Inn (Jsph. H. Mole)
Gates Thos. hairdrssr. 8 Station rd
Haustead Florence (Mrs.), fried fish dlr
Hope Lizzie (Mrs.), fried
fish dlr. 2 Temperance ter
Lawson Thos. butcher, Durham rd
Lough Mark, boot mkr. 15 Station rd
Lowery J. J. & W. confctnrs. 7 Station rd
Lowery & Sons, drapers, Esh rd. New Brancepeth 206
Malone & Metcalfe, confctnrs
Metcalfe Wm. Hosea, baker. 5 Station rd
Millmore J. butcher, 22 Station rd
| 140 GREATHAM || DURHAM || [KELLY'S
Hutchinson John, farmer, Field ho
Mellonby John, market gardener
Mellonby Michael, market gardener
Melrose Allendale, clerk to Parish Council, High st
Mitchell Benj. tailor, Front st
Parkhurst's Hospital (Jn.Walton,agt)
Peel Wm. fried fish dlr. High st
°Potts Jn. farmer, Red Barns farm
Procter Harry, blacksmith
Reliance Carriers Ltd. T N 35
Robinson Wm. farmer, Claxton. TN 65
Sievers Herman, farmer, Claxton
Smith Mary E. (Miss), stationer, & post office
Smiths' Arms P.H. (Hy. Hatfield)
Stonehouse Charles & Henry,farmers, Thorn Tree farm
Stonehouse William, butcher
Storey Rt. farmer
Tidyman Wm. Ryder, grocer
Watson John Thos. market gardener
Whitfield John & Sons, blacksmiths
Wilson Jn. Jas. farmer, Eastfield fm
Wood Jn. farmer, Prospect farm
Young Charles, sexton
GREENCROFT, township, 1¼ m. N.W. from Lanchester, which see; 1,677 acres;
GBEENCROFT WITHIN, 2 m.S. from Collierley, which see.
GREENHILL, 1¼ m. from
Dalton-le-Dale, which see ; Sub-Post Off.
GREENSIDE, ¾ m. W.from Ryton Woodside, which
see ; Post and Tel. Off.
GRINDON 2 m. N.W. from Silksworth, which see.
GRINDON, par. and township, 4 m. from Stockton-on-Tees ; 5,404 acres ; pop. 450 (civ.) ; 494 (ecc.).
THORPE THEWLES, Stockton-on-Tees.
May Rev. Ernest William Lees M.A. (vicar, & chaplain to the Marquess of Londonderry K.G., P.C., M.V.O.), Vicarage
Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.
°Blair Geo.frmr.Grindon Grange frm
Bottomley Mary Jane (Mrs.), shopkeeper, & post office
Davies Herbt. Gregory, farmer. Thorpe leazes. Stillington 40
Fletcher John, sand & gravel quarry, The Hall pit. Stillington 37
Gouldsborough Alfred, farmer
Hall Jas. H. farmer
Hamilton Russell Arms P.H. (Thos.Hy. Mellanby)
Hill Leonard Wm. farmer, Battle Hill farm
°McLaren A. M. T. (Mrs.), farmer, Manor farm. Stillington 47
McLaren David, poultry farmer, Littlegarth
Naisbitt Wilfred, hind to Mrs.Kathln. Clarke, Wynyard mill
Swinbank Thomas William, farmer, Town farm
Toase Janet (Mrs.), shopkpr. Stillington 40
Toase Rd. petrol filling station. Stillington 40
°Turnbull Hy. farmer, Fulthorpe
Vane Arms P.H. (Mrs. Grace Fisher)
Walker Thos. Alfd. farmer, Wood end (letters through Billingham)
Walsh Wm. H. Grindon Old vicarage
Williams Fras. building contrctr. Aislaby ho
Williams Rd. David, Aislaby ho
WYNYARD PARK, Billingham.
(For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Castlereagh Viscount M.P., J.P Wynyard Park; & 101 Park street W I & Turf & White's clubs, London & Ulster (Belfast) Durham
Londonderry Marquess of K.G., P.C., M.V.O. (lord-lieut.) & Marchioness of D.B.E., J.P. Wynyard Park; &
Mount Stewart, Newtownards, co. Down,Ireland; Londonderry house, Park lane W1; & Carlton, Marlborough & Turf clubs,
Wilthew Neville Wilthew J.P. (agent to the Marquess of Londonderry K.G., P.C., M.V.O.),Wynyard Park
Bell Alfd. estate clerk, Wolviston
Handley Wm. stud groom to the Marquess of Londonderry K.G., P.C., M.V.O
Heaton Edwd blacksmith The Kennels
Houliston Hy. head gamekeeper to Marquess of Londonderry K.G., P.C., M.V.O.
Retter Jn. poultry farmer
Tomlinson Geo. farm bailiff,Wolviston
Ward Wm. jun. estate
Wilthew Neville Wilthew J.P. land agt. to the Marquess of Londonderry K.G., P.C., M.V.O. Wynyard
Park. Stockton 66590.
Wynyard Park Reading Room & Club (George Evans, sec).
Yarrow Jsph. H. head gardener to Marquess of Londonderry K.G., P.C., M.V.O. The Gardens
(Marked * receive letters through Wingate.)
(Marked || receive letters through Wolviston. Stockton-on-Tees.)
Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.
*Allen William Ernest, farmer & landowner, Murton
farmer, Whin House farm
||Boland Geo. frmr. Middle Swainston
Britton E. (Mrs.), farmer, Cole hill
(letters through Elwick, West Hartlepool)
Hutchinson Louis, farmer, Low Swainston
°||Musgrave Jn. Thos. farmer, High Swainston
|| Ramsey William, farmer
*Wilson Jas. farmer, Embleton Old hall
HALLGARTH, ½ m. N.E. from Pittington, which see.
HAMSTEELS, ecc. par. 7 m. W. from Durham; pop. 3,284.
Hewison Rev. John Henry F.R.G.S. (vicar), Vicarage.
Ridley W. Clifford house
Coatsworth Jonathan, farmer, West Hamsteels farm
Dixon Jn. farmer,Old Hamsteels frm
(Sir S. A. Sadler Ltd.), colliery proprietors & coke mfrs. Esh Winning 36
Hamsteels New Inn (Geo. Davidson)
Kidd Mary (Mrs.),frmr.Greenland fm
Love Thomas, farmer, Malton House farm
Sadler Sir S. A. Limited, colliery owners, Malton colliery (postal address, Esh, Durham). T N Lanchester 25
Suddes John, farmer, Rowley farm
CORNSAY COLLIERY, Durham.
Allport Sarah Jane (Mrs.), shopkpr
Allport Wm. clerk to Parish Council
Annfield Plain Industrial Co-operative Society Ltd. T N Esh Winning 30
Blackett Albt. fried fish dlr
Chapman Arth. fried fish dlr
Coates Jsph. (exors. of), butchers
Coatsworth Rt. frmr. Greenfield frm
Durham County Water Board (T. Ayer, Hawkhills ter. collector)
Ferens & Love (1937) Ltd. coal masters. Esh Winning 42
Fir Tree P.H. (Archbld. Dundonald Tomlinson)
Hamill Jn. shopkpr
Lowes Chas. W. statnr. & post office
Marley Lily (Mrs.), shopkpr
Maughan Joseph, herbalist
Metcalfe Jn. newsagt
Moore Rt. shopkpr
Morgan Wm. farmer, Hill Top farm
National Deposit (Approved) Friendly Society (Wm. Allport, district sec)
Nicholson Thomas, butcher
Quinn Mary (Mrs.),farmer,Clickemin farm. T N Esh Winning 37
Qninn Rt.farmer,Quarry House farm
Ridley Joseph, farmer, Low Row fm
Routledge Lily (Mrs.), beer retlr
Royal Oak P.H.(Matthew Stephenson)
Rutter Winnie (Miss), ladies' hairdresser
Simpson Harry, motor omnibus propr
Smith Geo. Wm. butcher
Storey Geo. Thos. hardware dlr. T N Esh Winning 44
Willson Walter Ltd. grocers
Annfield Plain Industrial Co-operative Society Ltd. T N Esh Winning 31
Bates Jas. hardware dlr
Cade Henry, hair dresser
Dodds John, butcher
Dunning Henry, shopkeeper
Dunning Joshua Wm draper
Hamsteels Colliery Inn (Wilfred Donkin)
Harrison Christopher, news agent
Marley Margt. (Mrs.), confctnr
Phillips Rt. painter
Rutherford Rt. M.B., B.S.Durh. physician & surgn. (attends mon. wed. & fri. 11 a.m.
to 12 noon),8 Church st
Stubbs Bros, grocers
HAMSTERLEY, township and vil. 7½ m. W. by N. from Bishop Auckland ; Post and Tel.
Off. ; 2,985 acres; pop. 393.
HAMSTERLEY, Bishop Auckland.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS. (,For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Brown-Humes Jn. Edwd. Prospect ho
Greenwell Joseph Marquis J.P. The Lodge
Linnell Rev. Gerald Hyslop (vicar), The Vicarage
Morgan Rev. Wm. Emlyn (Baptist)
Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over,
Binks Robert, farmer, Lane house
Blackett Jn. newsagt
Collingwood Geo. F. frmr. Hollin hill
Collinson Roland, farmer, Crane row
Craggs Wm. farmer. Low Wether hill
Cross Keys Inn (Gibson Teasdale)
Dodds Chas. Hy. timber mer
Dunn Geo. tailor, Roslin ho
Featherstone Wm. B. haulage contractor. Witton-le-Wear 65
HISTORY, TOPOGRAPHY, AND DIRECTORY OF THE COUNTY PALATINE OF DURHAM
by FRANCIS WHELLAN & CO 1894
This parish is bounded on the north by Witton Gilbert, on the west by Lanchester and Hamsteels, on the south by
Waterhouses, and on the east by Brandon and Bearpark. This was formerly a chapelry dependent upon Lanchester.
The township of Esh comprises an area of 3119 acres, and its ratable value is £16,302. The population in 1801 was 276; in
1811, 383; in 1821, 470; in 1831, 486; in 1841, 518; in 1851, 642; in 1861, 942; in 1871, 2294; in 1881, 6333; and in
1891, 6392. Esh anciently gave name to a resident family, who possessed lands here for many generations, but the male line
becoming extinct in the reign of Henry VIII., the estates passed by marriage to the Mortons and Smythes; with the latter
it still remains ; Sir Edward Joseph Smythe, Bart, of Acton-Burnall, in Salop, being the present proprietor. Edward
Leadbetter-Smith, Esq., is also a landowner in the township.
For over forty years coal has been extensively wrought in this township, but most of the large collieries are situated
in the portions of the township now divided, and in Waterhouses and Hamsteels (which see). At Ushaw Moor colliery, not far
from Flass Hall, on the north side of the Dearness, is being worked the Busty seam, which contains a band which widens greatly to
the west. The top coal is 1 foot 10 inches thick, and the bottom coal 3 feet 6 inches. A drift from this seam to Brockwell,
16 fathoms below, will shortly be opened to work that seam, which is about 3 feet 6 inches thick. This colliery was sunk
about 1865, and when fully operating, employs over 500 men and boys. There are a large number of coke ovens, which convert
about half the output into coke. At Hill Top the Hutton seam is worked to a small extent by a drift, and is about 4 feet
Esh Village is situated about five miles west-north-west of Durham, and commands an extensive view to north and west
over a wide, well-cultivated valley. The central area of the village contains a stone cross, bearing the inscription
I. H. S., and the date 1687, probably erected upon the site of a former village cross. The village still maintains its
rural aspect, and is little changed from past years.
Ushaw* is a village about three-quarters of a mile from Esh, and is remarkable as being the seat of the splendid
Catholic College of St. Cuthbert. Hill Top adjoins Ushaw, and is principally occupied by the tradespeople employed at the
*This name .has undergone many changes ; probably the original was Ulveskahe, which, as time Went on, became Ulfshaw,
Ulshaw, Usshaw, and ultimately finished up in the present Ushaw. Its first name would suggest the idea that the woods,
being infested with wolves, gave it that name. Ulfshaw certainly appears to have a strong claim, for we find Ulf as the
name given in Boldon Buke (1183) to the tenant who held sixty acres in the manor of Lanchester, for which he paid 15s., did
the bishops, errands, and with one hound attended the great hunt in Weardale.
Esh Winning, which has sprung into existence since the opening of the colliery in 1859, may, like its neighbour
Waterhouses, be called a model colliery village. Here is a fine miners' institute, and a small stone chapel-of-ease.
The houses built on the south side of the road are really all that could be desired. A large garden is attached to each
house, to be cultivated as the pleasure of the occupant directs. It is situated about six miles west of Durham, in the
Dearness valley, and a mile below Esh, surrounded by a beautiful country.
Langley Park Village is situated on the west side of the Brownie, about five miles north-west of Durham, and within
half a mile of Witton Gilbert railway station. The sinking of Langley Park Colliery in 1876, on the opposite side of the
river, gave existence to this village, whose present population amounts to over 2000 souls. (The colliery is described
Ushaw Moor is another colliery village in this parish, four miles west of Durham, and two miles from Esh, on the road
between Waterhouses and Durham. The inhabitants are employed at the Ushaw Moor Colliery. There is a Catholic day school
and an iron chapel-of-ease to Esh, also a reading-room. Ushaw Moor railway station is half a mile distant from the
The Parish Church is a small stone structure, dedicated to St. Michael, and occupies the site of a chapel of very
ancient date. An inscription upon a stone in the north wall states that it was rebuilt in 1770. It was again restored in
1850, and in 1889 improvements were made at a cost of £200. The church consists of nave, chancel, and south transept, and
a neat porch, added in 1884, to the memory of Rev. Dr. Lee, by public subscription. The windows of the chancel are filled
with stained glass, that in the east representing the Offering of Isaac, the Presentation in the Temple, and Christ
blessing Little Children. The side lights represent the Crucifixion and Ascension. The narrow windows in the chancel were
replaced by one of four lights in 1889, and the single window in the south wall was doubled and filled with stained
glass. The earliest record of the register dates back to a baptism in 1558, and the bell bears the inscription, "Maria
Gratiana, 1695." The prebend of Esh was part of the collegiate church of Lanchester ; and the tithes of corn and hay were
granted by the crown to Edmund Dodding and Miles Downing, gents. These tithes have passed through various hands to the
Smyths, who have again disposed of them. At the Dissolution a small pension was reserved for this living, which afterwards
was augmented from Lord Crewe's trustees and Queen Anne's Bounty. In 1835 it was stated to be worth £65 ; the dean and
chapter since added Underside Farm, then of the value of £40; and from other sources it was increased to ,£190. It is now
in the patronage of the Bishop of Manchester, and is valued at £320 per annum. The Rev. Wm. Stuart White, M.A., is the
incumbent. The parsonage, a handsome structure, erected in 1852, is on the declivity of a lofty hill, and commands an
extensive view of the surrounding country.
There are two chapels-of-ease in this parish: the one at Langley Park, dedicated to All Saints, is a brick building, with
seating for 300. The chapel at Esh Winning is a neat stone structure, capable of seating 180; and the Ushaw Moor Iron
Mission Room will accommodate the same.
St. Michael's Catholic Church is situated at Esh Laude. It was built about 1798 on a site given by Sir Edward Smythe,
Bart., and provides seating for 300. It is a neat stone edifice, consisting of nave and an apsidal chancel of three lights,
filled with stained glass. The altar is a memorial to Cardinal Wiseman. The presbytery, which is a good stone house, is
attached to the church, both of which are pleasantly enclosed. Rev. Samuel Harris, priest.
Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Catholic Church is situated at New House, close to the site of an ancient chapel, partially
destroyed by the pursuivants in their search for Father Boste, who was discovered in hiding, and hanged, drawn, and
quartered, July 24, 1594, in the neighbouring wood, it is believed. It must have been in some way rebuilt, as the deed of
New House bears the date, April 15, 1651, the "partys to ye deed being George Smythe and Edward Smythe his son." " That
one priest of the secular clergy, may, for the comfort of our neighbours, have convenient lodging, with provision for
fire, and meat for one horse and two kine, with a stipend of ;£10 yearly." The people being few, and the chapel in a
ruinous state, the incumbency was removed to Esh Laude in 1798. In 1871 a small church was built here, on a site granted
by I Sir Charles F. Smythe and Henry Smith, Esq., which soon became too small, and in 1881 the present handsome church
was erected. It is in the Early English style, consisting of nave and chancel. At the west end is a square mediaeval
tower, and on the north side there is a beautiful chapel in marble, dedicated to the Souls in Purgatory. The cost of the
church, which has seats for 400, amounted to £2200. The presbytery adjoins, being in the same grounds, which are tastefully
laid out. There is a burial-ground of about an acre. Rev. Philip C. Fortin is priest.
The College of St. Cuthbert, Ushaw, dates its origin from the year 1794, when a few English Catholic students, who
had been driven from Douay by the excesses of the French Revolution, assembled under the presidency of the Rev. Thomas
Eyre, at Crook Hall, in the parish of Lanchester. For more than two hundred years before this time the Catholics of
England had been compelled to seek in foreign countries an education which the penal laws denied them at home ; and of all
the colleges to which they resorted for the purpose, none was more famous than that established by Cardinal Allen, in
1568, at Douay, in French Flanders. It was the first college founded in strict accordance with the decrees of the Council
of Trent, and up to the time of its suppression it supplied the largest proportion of secular priests for the English
Mission, in addition to being the alma mater of many of the English laity. During the times of persecution, about 170 of
its priests perished on the scaffold in England, and numberless others died, either in prison or exiles from their native
country. The College of Douay being seized by the army of the French Republic in 1793, the professors and students, with
the exception of a few who had made their escape, were arrested and imprisoned in the fortress of Doulens in Picardy. The
number seized amounted to forty-one, but of these fifteen managed, at different times, to effect their escape, and to
reach England in safety. The twenty-six who remained were joined by sixty-four members of the secular College of St. Omer,
and they remained in captivity till the fall of Robespierre in 1794, after which event they were released, and finally
all returned to England at the beginning of 1795.
Meanwhile the English bishops had been making provision for the reception of the students who had been arriving in small
parties from France. A school at Old Hall Green, in Hertfordshire, accommodated those who belonged to the south, while
those who belonged to the north found a temporary residence at Crook Hall, numbers rapidly increasing, Bishop Gibson, the
Vicar-Apostolic of the Northern District, conceived the design of founding a college on a larger scale ; and with the
assistance of the Catholic clergy and laity, he was enabled to purchase from Sir Edward Smythe, Bart, a small estate at
Ushaw, consisting of 300 acres; and here, in 1804, was begun the building of the present college. The community from
Crook Hall took possession of their new abode in 1808.
The college stands on an eminence overlooking the valley of the Dearness and the ruins of Beaurepaire, and commands an
extensive prospect of the surrounding country. It is built of stone, in two styles of architecture, the earlier portion
being plain and massive; the later additions are carried out in Early English and Late Decorative Pointed styles. The
south front is about 900 feet long from east to west. The great library, with the study hall underneath it, is at the
extreme east end; next comes the south wing of the quadrangle, the oldest part of the building; adjoining that is the
church; then a receding cloister leads to the junior college. Behind, to an average depth of 260 feet, stand the other
wings of the quadrangle, the infirmary, the swimming bath, the kitchens, and offices. The buildings cover an area of eight
acres. In front there is a large artificial pond, spacious enough to afford skating room in winter for 300 or 400 boys.
The grounds round about it are well covered with luxuriant shrubs, and laid out with flower-beds and walks for the
students. In addition, there are large playgrounds for the use of the senior and junior colleges, including an extensive
cricket ground and a number of lawn-tennis courts. A few hundred yards to the south-west stand the farm buildings; and at
a distance of about half a mile to the north there is a small coal-pit belonging to the college, from which is drawn a
supply of coal for consumption in the house and at the gas-works.
The college is of gradual growth, consisting at first only of the central quadrangle; it has been added to according as
the needs of the Catholic body required, till now it can accommodate more than 300 students. The course of studies is
similar to that of our great public schools, though the bulk of the students, in the higher classes at least, are preparing
for the priesthood.
In 1840 the college was affiliated to the University of London, and began to present candidates for the degrees that
could be obtained there. Since 1863, the Matriculations, Intermediate Arts, and B.A. examinations have been held each
year at the college, and great success has been achieved. The studies are arranged in three courses, the Lower, the
Higher, and the University course. The Lower course provides elementary instruction for those who enter at an early age.
It embraces the study of the English language so far as to enable a pupil to acquire accuracy and facility in composition,
a complete course of arithmetic, the outlines of Bible history, of English history, and modern geography, the study of
French and Latin grammar, and of easy authors in those languages. The students in this course occupy a separate portion
of the college buildings, where the hours of study and other arrangements are adapted to their age. The Higher course
embraces the study of the Greek language, of algebra and geometry, and of the histories of Greece and Rome, in addition
to the further study of the English, French, and Latin languages, of the history of England and modern geography, with
continued practice in English composition. The University course, by which these studies are followed and completed, is
arranged for a period of four years. In it is embodied the curriculum of the London University for a degree in arts. In
the first year the whole class is prepared for matriculation. The second and third years are spent in the preparation of
the subjects required for the Intermediate examination in Arts and the B.A. examination. The fourth year is devoted to the
study of metaphysics and moral philosophy, or, in the case of those who do not proceed to the B.A. examination, the third
and fourth years are given to the study, conjointly, of natural science and metaphysics and moral philosophy. These
general studies are succeeded in the case of those who are studying for the Church by a three years' course of theology.
A period of fourteen years is required to pass through the entire course.
The college can number amongst its alumni many eminent names. Of those who are now no more may be mentioned Cardinal
Wiseman, first Archbishop of Westminster; Cardinal de la Puento, Archbishop of Burgos; Archbishop Errington, and many
bishops of the northern dioceses of England; Dr. Lingard, the historian of England, and Mr. Justice Shee. At present
the two Scotch archbishops, Archbishop Macdonald of St. Andrews and Edinburgh, and Archbishop Eyre of Glasgow, as well
as one Scotch and five English bishops, are old students of Ushaw.
The church, which is dedicated to St. Cuthbert, the patron-saint of Durham and of the college, occupies a prominent
position in the centre of the south front. It was erected in 1882-84 from the designs of Messrs. Dunn and Hansom, of London
and Newcastle, on the site of a previous chapel, built some forty years before by A. W Pugin. This, as the college grew,
became much too small for the increased number of students, and with much regret was pulled down to make way for the
present structure. The total cost of the present building, over; £16,000, was raised by subscriptions from old alumni
and friends of the college. It consists of an ante-chapel, choir, and sanctuary, ending in a three-sided apse, in which
stand the magnificent high altar, erected in 1890, at a cost of £2000, from designs by Mr. Peter Paul Pugin, and
presented as a thank-offering to the college by the late Canon William Taylor Smith. The ante-chapel, which forms the
north and south transepts, is 74 feet in length by 20 in width, and is entered from the house by a long cloister, running
along the north wall of the church. In the south transept, separated from the ante-chapel by a carved oak screen, the gift
of Coventry Patmore, and erected in memory of his son, who was a student at the college, stands the altar of the Sacred
Heart. This was formerly the high altar of the old chapel, and is of Caen stone, with an elaborately carved reredos,
divided into six compartments, each containing a mystery of the Passion, sculptured in high relief. On the left, under an
imposing canopy of stone, stands a marble statue of the Sacred Heart, executed by Mr. Wall of Cheltenham.
The choir is separated from the ante-chapel by a stone screen, forming three separate arched compartments, vaulted and
groined in stone. In the compartment on the right is an altar dedicated to St. Gregory the Great, in that on the left, one
dedicated to the Venerable Bede; while that in the centre forms the passage into the choir. At each side of the screen is
a carved niche, that on the right containing a life-size marble statue of the Holy Virgin and Child, and that on the left,
one of St. Joseph. Both these beautiful works of art are from the studio of Hoffman of Rome.
The choir is entered from the screen through folding glass doors, and is 91 feet long and 35 broad, the sanctuary beyond
being 36 feet more. On each side are three rows of benches, the third being divided into stalls, with canopies rising to
a height of 15 feet. Above the canopies, on the left, is the organ chamber, containing a magnificent instrument, originally
by Bishop, but remodelled and enlarged by Messrs. Bevington & Sons of London. In the centre of the aisle stands a lectern
of brass, surmounted by an eagle, whose extended wings form a desk for the Missal.
In the sanctuary the prominent feature is the splendid high altar. Set upon steps of red Belgian marble, there stands
a massive altar with double gradus and basement for the reception of the wooden canopy and pinnacle, which rises gracefully
to the height of 40 feet, and is tastefully gilt and decorated. The reredos contains nine painted panels, those on the left
showing the Ark of the Covenant with Moses and Aaron, which typifies the real presence of God made man in the Blessed
Sacrament. On the right Mary kneels and receives from the angel Gabriel the announcement of the Incarnation of God the
Son. The panels at the back of the altar represent angels in the attitude of adoration. The windows of the sanctuary are
all filled with stained glass, the west window representing scenes from the life of St. Cuthbert. Of those in the choir,
two only contain stained glass, and represent the saints of the North. The great east window represents the Church
triumphant, or the eternal glory of the saints and servants of God, according to the vision of St. John in the Apocalypse,
where he describes "a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations and tribes and tongues, standing before
There are in addition many smaller chapels, as for instance, the Oratory of the Holy Family, which contains a fine
picture of the Adoration of the Magi, painted by Rohden, a pupil of Overbeck ; the Lady Chapel; the chapels of St. Charles
Borromeo and of St. Michael, both excellent examples of elaborate carving; and that of St. Joseph.
In the junior college there is the chapel of St. Aloysius for the use of the younger students, a bright and cheerful
Gothic structure, 64 feet in length by 22 in width. It contains an altar of Caen stone and marble, in the reredos of
which are two carved panels, representing scenes from the life of St. Aloysius. On the left there is an image, in white
marble, of the Blessed Virgin seated, with the Divine Child standing at her knees. This beautiful work of art is again
from the studio of Hoffman.
The Library stands at the south-east corner of the old quadrangle, and is a large and lofty room, elegant in its
architectural details, and ornamented with some beautiful windows filled with stained glass. The books, nearly 50,000
in number, are arranged in classes, on shelves attached to projecting partitions, between each of which is a table with
seats for the use of the students. The library is particularly rich in biblical, theological, and patristic literature.
For the younger students there are several reading-rooms containing books more suited to their age.
The Refectory, or dining-hall, is a fine apartment, 104 feet in length by 37 in breadth, and contains the portraits of
a number of the founders, presidents, patrons of the college, and other distinguished persons.
The Exhibition Hall, where the academic and dramatic displays take place, is a highly decorated apartment, with a roof
of oaken framework of the most superb character; the pillars, beams, and pendants being finely carved. The interior
dimensions are—length 82 feet, width 37 feet, height to the apex of the roof, 41 feet. At one end is a stage, 26 feet in
depth, with proscenium and arrangements for lighting, scenery, &c. The benches are arranged in gradually ascending tiers,
affording accommodation for about 400 people.
A large swimming-bath, adjoining the house, and connected with it by corridors, is now (1893) in course of erection. The
bath itself will be 72 feet long and 30 wide, and will be warmed by a system of hot-water pipes, so as to be available for
use all the year round.
The mode of admission is by application to the president. The pension for students over ten years of age is sixty guineas
per annum, and for those under that age fifty guineas per annum, to be paid half-yearly in advance. President—The Right
Rev. Thomas William Wilkinson, Bishop of Hexham and Newcastle.
The Wesleyan Chapel at Langley Park is a good stone building, erected in 1881, at a cost of £700, to seat 250.
The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel at Esh Winning was erected at a cost of £500, the site being given by the colliery
owners. It is a brick building, with accommodation for 350, built in 1885.
The Primitive Methodist Chapel at Langley Park was built in 1883, at a cost of £782 including site, and the seating is
for 350. It is a good stone building. The Primitives have a small iron chapel at Esh Winning for about 100 persons.
The Schoolhouse and Dwelling for the teacher were erected in 1836, and stand near the church at Esh village. The
Ecclesiastical Commisssioners contribute, £15 per annum. The average attendance is about 55.
The Catholic Schools of St. Michael, also near the parish church, were erected in 1851; they have since been
enlarged, and will now accommodate 200, the average attendance being 150. These schools are built of stone, and the
Sisters of St. Paul are the teachers.
At Ushaw Moor there is another Catholic school, an iron structure, erected in 1874, having accommodation for 150, and an
average attendance of 130. There is also a small school adjoining the Catholic church at New House.
The British School at Langley Park is a good brick building, situated within a spacious playground. It was built by
the late Dr. Lee and W. Logan, Esq., in 1877, and is so constructed that it may be divided into boys, girls, and infants;
at present it is used as mixed and infants, with accommodation for 400, the average being full up.
At Esh Winning the British School, erected in 1890, by Messrs. Pease and Partners, is a very fine white brick
building, with every modern improvement. Excellent accommodation is provided for over 400 children.
The Langley Park Reading-Room and Library was opened in 1876. The library-contains 500 volumes, and present number
of members is 300, the yearly subscription being 45s 4d.
The Miners' Institute at Esh Winning, provided by Messrs. Pease and Partners, is an excellently arranged building,
comprising library, reading and billiard rooms, science classes are taught here in the winter months. The library is well
stocked, and the reading-room is liberally supplied with the usual papers and magazines. The weekly subscription of one
penny is all the fee.
At Ushaw Moor the Literary Institute contains a reading and billiard room and library.
Esh Hall, an interesting old domicile, formerly the seat of the Smyths, is at present unoccupied.
Flass Hall, the seat and property of Edward Leadbetter-Smith, Esq., occupies a low and sequestered situation near
the Dearness, five miles west of Durham. It was formerly possessed by the Brasses, Johnsons, and Halls.
Hamsteels was annexed to this chapelry in 1833, having previously belonged to the parish of Lanchester. Blackburn
was anciently the estate of the Carlisles, and was transferred by marriage to the Thirlkelds in 1488, from whom it passed
to the Wranghams in the reign of Elizabeth. Middlewood, or Ushaw Moor, containing about 600 acres, was enclosed and
divided, in accordance with the provisions of the Act 2 George III., 1760. (For other villages and parts of the former
parish of Esh, see hamsteels and waterhouses, parishes containing portions of this ancient parish.)
Post and Money Order Office.—Esh, Miss Elizabeth Howatson Smith, postmistress. Letters arrive here from Durham at
despatched 4.15 p.m., week days only.
Post. Money Order, and Telegraph Office.—Quebec. William Adcock, postmaster. Letters arrive here from Durham 9.15 A.M.,
despatched 3.55 p.m., week days only.
Post, Money Order, and Telegraph Office.—Ushaw, John Robson. Letters arrive at 8.15 A.M., despatched 5 P.M.
Post and Money Order Office.—Langley Park, George Ritchie, postmaster. Letters arrive here from Durham 8 A. M.,
despatched 6 p.m. week days only.
Post and Money Order Office.—Esh Winning, John M'Callnm, postmaster. Letters arrive here from Durham 10 A.M., despatched
4.30 P.M., week days only.
Post and Money Order Office.—Ushaw Moor, Robert Harrison, postmaster. There are wall letter-boxes at Brown's houses,
cleared for Durham at 4.30 a.m.
| Marked * are within the township of Brandon and Byshottles. |
Annfield Plain Co-operative Society (branch), Langley park ; William Short, manager
greengrocer, Langley park
Bee, Stephen, carter and farmer, Esh Winning
Bennett, Thomas, shopkeeper,
Brown, Samuel, greengrocer, Langley park
Burdon, Thos., tailor and draper, Langley park
Cant, John, stonemason
Clarke, Mr. Robert, Wall Nook
Clement, W., general dealer, Esh Winning
Collingwood, W. Hooker, land agt., Esh villa
Cook, Ed., market gardener, Flass gardens
*Crofton, J. G., colliery
manager, Esh villa, Esh Winning
Curry, R., engineer, Ushaw moor colliery
Davis, John Thos., tailor, &c., Langley
Dent, Rev. John, curate of Hamsteels
Elliott, J., mgr. of Coke Ovens, Langley park
house and newsagent, and agent to Prudential, Langley park
Esh Co-operative Society, gcrs., dprs., &c.,and at
Cornsay clry. and Quebec; J. Wilson, mgr.
Fortin, Rev. Philip C. (Catholic), Newhouse
Foster, Mr. Thomas,
French, George, vict. Stag's Head and Station Hotel, Waterhouses
Goundry, Thomas, shoemaker. Hill Top
Grey, Thomas, grocer, Esh Winning
Harris, Rev. Samuel (Catholic)
Hedley, John, cowkeeper, Lowside
Henry, Oswin Bede, professor of music
Hepburn, Thomas, under-mgr., Langley
Heppell, W., agt. to Prudential, Langley park
Hodgson, Win. and Jno., grocers and butchers, Esh Winning
Holliday, Roger, junr., Hill Top, Landsale
Holliday, Mr. Roger
Hollingworth, A., mstr. of Langley park
Holmes, Wm. Adamson, butcher and farmer, Langley park
Hunter, Jas. Robt., butcher, Langley park
James, Thomas, draper, Waterhouses
Johnson, H., agent to
Prudential, Durham rd. Esh Winning
Johnson, Thomas, greengrocer, Esh Winning
Keeley, Henry A., blacksmith
Kidd, Caleb, shopkeeper, Langley park
Leadbetter-Smith, E., Esq., C. C., Flass Hall
Mawbray, Thomas, joiner
M'Cullum, John, tailor, Waterhouses
M'Cullum, Mrs. M. Jane, confr., Waterhouses
*Minto, George, grocer, Esh
Morin, Charles, vict. Cross Keys
Mould, Elias, under-mgr., Ushaw moor colliery
Nattress, N., butcher and beer rtlr., Langley pk.
Nichol, Jas., clerk, Ushaw moor colliery
Nicholson, R., colliery smith, Low
moor ho., Langley park
Ostle, D., mstr. of British school, Esh Winning
Oyston, John, shoemaker and grocer,
Oyston, W., spirit merchant and beer retailer
Patterson, WT. Pitt, shoemaker, Langley park
Pease and Partners, limited, coalowners, Esh Winning colliery ; Jno. George Crofton, mgr.
Pyr, Jas., carting
contractor, Esh Winning
Raw, John, stationmaster, Waterhouses
*Rippon, Thos., under-mgr., Esh Winning
Ritchie, G., gr. and dpr., post-office, Langley pk.
Robson, Geo., farm steward, College Farm
Robson, Jas., joiner, grocer, &c., Waterhouses
Routledge, T., agt. to Prdntl., Esh Winning
builder St. Cuthbert's College, Ushaw
Serd, Mrs. Ellen, cowkeeper, Hill Top
Sharp, Thos., butcher,
Sinclair, Geo. Gunn, surgeon, Whitefield house
Simpson, John, greengrocer, Langley park
Small, A., assistant-surgeon, Langley park
Smith, J., assistant-overseer, Esh
Spencer, Rev. Bertram Stow,
Stuart-White, Rev. W., vicar Stoddart, Gardner, butcher, Hill Top
Stubbs, Jno., mgr. of
Quebec (brh.) Co-op, strs.
Thompson, J. G., coke inspr.,Hamsteels cllry.
Towns, John, joiner and blacksmith
Turner, Rev., curate
Ushaw moor colliery, Michael H. Wardle, mgr.
Vaughan, Menshae,gls. And ch. dl., Langley pk.
Wardle, Michael H., manager of Ushaw moor colliery
Waugh, Mrs. A., shpkr. and br.rtlr,, Langley pk.
Waugh, Mrs. E., vict. The Board, Hill Top
White, E., vict. Langlcy Park Hotel, Langley park
Whitfield, Boaz, besom mfr. and frmr.,
Wiggin, W.R., cornmiller, Wall Nook mill
Willis, W. Bolam, nigr., Co-oper. .strs., Quebec
Wilson, J., nigr. of Esh Co-operative Society
Craddas, Thomas, North farm
Hand, James, Heugh farm
Hedley, Mrs. Mary, Low Finings
Kidd, John, Greenland
Parker, Joseph, Hugg house
Stephenson, Davison, Underside
Stephenson, Henry, Flass farm
Stephenson, Michael, Esh glebe
For the remainder of this township see HAMSTEELS PARISH
| HAMSTEELS PARISH |
Owen, Mrs., shopkeeper, station
Owen, Robt. Castle, butcher, Ferryhill station
Palmer, Henry, agent and manager of East Howle colliery, Manor house
Parker & Brown, auctioneers
Parker, Wm. Jas., butcher and auctioneer (P. & B.)
*Pugmire, Joseph, tailor, Ferryhill station
Reed, John, shopkeeper
Ridley, Septimus, farm manager, East Howle
Robinson, George, tailor
*Routledge, James, lime burner, and assistant overseer for Chilton, Ferryhill station
Shirlaw, James Linn, surgeon
Stephenson, Robt., grocer and post-office, E. Howle
Stephenson, Thomas, joiner
Thompson, John, butcher and farmer
Thompson, William, hardware dealer
Walker, Francis, saddler
Walker, George, grocer and assistant-overseer
Walker, Rd. Eden, lime merchant, Ferryhill stn.
Welch, George, butcher, and agent to Royal Fire
and Life and Guarantee Assurance
Wilkinson, Miss Hannah, Ferryhill house
Williams, Rev. Arthur Julius, M.A., vicar
Brown, John, and butcher
Clark, William Henry, Hill house
Lindsay, William, Low hill
Morgan, Mrs. Jane Ann, Cleve's cross
Parker, William James, and butcher
Purvis, William and George
Smith, John Alderson
Stephenson, Benjamin, East End farm
Thompson, John, and butcher
Walker, Mrs. Ann, Blue house
Walker, William, Red house
Hotels, Inns, &C.
Bay Horse Inn, Mrs. Jane Todd
Black Bull, Mrs. Isabella Smith
Clarence Hotel, William Bell, Ferryhill station
Commercial Inn, Wm. Cowling, Ferryhill station
East Howle Hotel, William Shaw, East Howle
*Eldon Arms Hotel, Mrs. J. Hogarth, Ferryhill stn.
King's Head, H. Tinkler
*Mainsforth Hotel, Wm. Appleton, Ferryhill stn.
Post Boy Inn, Thomas Forster
Red Lion, Benjamin Kidd
*Swan Hotel, Charles Mills, Ferryhill station
Thinford Bridge Inn, Matt. Herron, Metal Bridge
Wheatsheaf, John Robson
White Horse Inn, Henry Thompson
Dunlavey, Anthony, Greyhound Inn
Ross, Mrs. Rachel, Saddler Arms
Railway Station.—John Wilkie, stationmaster. A brake plies between East Howie and Spennymoor on Saturdays.
Robert Stephenson, proprietor, East Howie.
This parish, which embraces the villages of Cornsay Colliery, Hamsteels, Malton, and
Quebec, was constituted a separate parish by an Order in Council, dated October 3, 1873, and is composed chiefly of
portions of Esh parish, with part of Burnhope and Hamsteels township from Lanchester parish, and that portion of Cornsay
township which takes in the western half of the village of Cornsay Colliery, the road through that village being the
boundary between Esh and Cornsay townships.
Hamsteels, which gives name to the parish, and also to a colliery village, is an estate which was one of the seats of the
Tempest family. The old Hall is now a farmstead, the hamlet of Hamsteels comprising a few cottages lying between it and
West Hamsteels, another farm belonging to the old estate.
A little to the south-west of Hamsteels Colliery is a very interesting enclosure called Rowley. It is of rectangular
form, and surrounded by a moat, which is almost perfect. From its proximity to the Roman road which passes within a very
short distance, crossing the Quebec road and under the present parish schools, it is said to have been occupied by the
Romans. It is, however, believed by many to have existed previous to the Roman occupation, and that it owes its
construction to the ancient Britons. Large quantities of stone have been obtained from the foundation, and used for
building purposes on the farms adjoining, but no discoveries likely to throw light upon its somewhat obscure origin
have been made. That it has been a fortified place there is not the least doubt, which supports the idea of the present
foundations being those of a castle or some other equally strong building. Possibly it may have been utilised by the De
Eshes, who were proprietors here during the incursions of the Scots, previous to their residence at Esh. M'Langhan says
that "Coeval with this building, seemingly about fifty yards south of the camp, is a small enclosure about seventy-six
yards square, called Chapel Garth, in which are foundations of a small building about twenty yards by ten, traditionally
said to have been a place of worship, and old people have heard that graves were visible some years ago." This receives
confirmation by Surtees, for, according to that historian, Peter, the priest of Sedgefield at the time of Bishop Pudsey,
granted to the see of Durham his lands at "Ruelie with the chapel," &c.
It may here be mentioned that little more than half a mile from this spot was found a pre-historic treasure, in the shape
of a stone adze, about five inches long. It was discovered in the garden of the new vicarage by the Rev. F. G. Wesley in
1891. This discovery is remarkable, as this kind of implement is very rarely found in Durham.
The population of this parish is almost exclusively of the mining class, there being three collieries within its
The Cornsay Colliery, worked by Messrs. Ferens and Love, was first opened out in 1868, and is situated within the
township of Cornsay, but in this parish. There are four seams, the whole of which are worked by drifts into the
hillsides. The "Harvey " is 2 feet 8 inches thick; the "Ballarat" 1 foot 9 inches; the "Five Quarter" 2 feet 2 inches
to 3 feet 6 inches, and the Main coal is 3 feet. The names of the drifts are Low Drift, High Drift, Colpike Drift, and
Ford Drift, which give a daily output amounting to 750 tons, about the half of which is converted into coke on the spot,
there being 270 ovens. A great feature of this pit is that it yields a splendid fire-clay, which supplies the rather
extensive brick, tile, and sanitary pipe-works in connection with the colliery. It is contemplated by the owners to lay
down plant for the manufacture of glazed, sanitary, and other ware, for which the clay is so well adapted. This colliery
in its various departments gives employment to an average of 700 men and boys. The royalties worked, besides a large area
of freehold owned by themselves, are leased from Ushaw College, the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and Miss Taylor-Smith.
Hamsteels Collieries and Coke Ovens were commenced in 1867 by Messrs. R. S. Johnson and T. M. Reay, and are now
carried on under the title of "The Owners of Hamsteels Collieries." There are four seams met and worked, "The Brockwell"
having an average thickness of 3 feet 6 inches; the "Upper Busty" 1 foot 8 inches; the "Lower Busty" 2 feet 4 inches; and
the "Harvey" about 3 feet 8 inches. The latter seam, which was drifted in 1890, is not of equal quality to the others.
There are two shafts 35 and 20 fathoms, as well as three drifts, giving a total yearly output of (when fully working)
280,000 tons. Three-fourths of this output is converted into coke on the spot. This colliery gives employment in its
various branches to 680 men and boys. At Malton, coal has also been wrought since 1870, the Malton being in that year
opened by Mr. G. Love. It is now worked by S. A. Sadler, Esq., of Middlesbrough. The Harvey, Brockwell, and Busty seams
are met here, and worked by drifts, the thickness of the seams ranging from two to four feet. Patent ovens and other
important improvements are rapidly developing, and ere long this colliery will employ a large number of men.
Cornsay Colliery is a populous village situated on a hillside on the north bank of the Dearness, seven miles and a
half west of Durham, and two miles west of Esh. It is partly in the township of Esh, and partly in that of Cornsay,
the road which runs through the village being the boundary.
Hamsteels is another colliery village a little to the south of Quebec, and occupied chiefly by the officials of
the colliery which, with its coke ovens and shops, lies just below. From the hill above this village, a fine prospect of
great extent along the valleys of the Dearness and Browney is obtained.
Quebec, which derives its name from a farmhouse close by, is on the road between Esh and Lanchester, one and a half
miles west of the former, and two and a half south by east of the latter. Here dwell most of the employees of the Hamsteels
colliery, and here also is the church, the schools, and Wesleyan and Primitive chapels.
Malton is a small colliery village, about a mile and a half from Quebec. Coal has been worked here for some time, but
only in a small way up to the present; there is, however, every prospect of this becoming a large and populous colliery
village, as preparations are being made to open out what promises to be a large coal royalty.
The Church is a small plain stone building in the Early English style, built in 1875. It was originally built as a
school-chapel, but was at the formation of the parish converted into a church. It will seat about 300. The living is a
vicarage valued at £300 per year, in the gift of the crown and bishop alternately, and held by the Rev. Francis G. Wesley,
M.A. There are about twenty acres of glebe.
The Vicarage, a substantial brick residence, stands a little to the south-west of the church, within two acres of
ground, on the Cornsay road, and was built in 1890, at a rost of nearly £2000.
The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel is a neat stone building of Gothic style, erected in 1873 at a cost of £750, to seat
400. The colliery proprietors gave £150 in addition to the site.
The Primitive Chapel, also of stone, was built in 1875, and will accommodate 300. The cost was £600, in addition
to site, which with £150 was given by colliery owners.
The Methodist New Connexion have a chapel at Cornsay Colliery, which was originally built for the day school by the
colliery owners, but becoming too small, it was given to this body, who fitted it internally to seat 400.
The National School is at Quebec village on the north side of the road, upon the site of the old Roman road. It is a stone
building, built about 1875, with mixed and infants' departments, having a total accommodation for 240 children.
St. Charles' Catholic School, at Cornsay Colliery, was built in 1874, and is a brick building with accommodation for
about 220. Attached to this school is a house for the master.
The British School, Cornsay Colliery, is a good building of brick, built in 1876 by the colliery proprietors. It is
for mixed and infants, with accommodation for 400 in all, and is fully attended.
The Temperance Hall is a building with a seating capacity of about 300, and is well adapted for public entertainments,
having a stage and ante-room.
Post, Money Order, and Telegraph Office, Quebec. — Wm. Adcock, postmaster. Letters arrive here from Durham at
9.15 A.M., and are despatched at 3.35.
Post Money Order Office, Cornsay Colliery. — Joseph Norwood, postmaster. Letters arrive 9,30 A.M., despatch 3.45.
Adcock, Wm., botanist and post-office, Quebec
Atkinson, Jno. R., beer rtlr., Cornsay colliery
under-mngr., Hamsteels collry.
Bates, Wm., fruiterer, Cornsay colliery
Bell, Thos., shoemaker, Cornsay colliery
Browell, Allan, under-manager, Cornsay cllry.
Coates, John, vict. Royal Oak, Cornsay collry.
Jph. & Thos., btchers., Cornsay colliery
Coates, Win., shopkeeper, Cornsay colliery
Cockerill, John, vict.
Hamsteels New Inn
Coxon, Hy., schoolmaster, Cornsay colliery
Dent, Rev. John, curate, h. Esh village
Dodds, Alex., butcher, Quebec
Esh Co-operative Society (branch), Quebec and Cornsay colliery
Forster, Marshall, engineer, Hamsteels colliery
Goliglitly, Matt., carting contr., Cornsay cllry.
Hamsteels cllry. (owners of) ; T. Lowdon, mgr.
Halkier, Mrs., shopkeeper, Cornsay colliery
Hardy, John, china
dealer, Cornsay colliery
Hardy, Wm., coke inspector, Cornsay colliery
Harrison, Jph., tailor and draper, Quebec
Hart., Geo., confectioner, Cornsay colliery
Hodgson, Jacob, engineer, Cornsay colliery
shopkeeper, Cornsay colliery
Johnson, J.B., cashier, Moor ho., Hamsteels clry,
Kirkland, Jas., M.D., surgeon,
Kirkup, Philip, manager, Cornsay colliery
Latue, John, farm bailiff, Hamsteels colliery
Lemon, Daniel, undr.-mgr., Hamsteels colliery
Love, W. A., frnm. of bck. wks., Cornsay cllry
Lowdon, T., mgr., Hamsteels dry,; Clifford ho.
Lynn, Andrew, herbalist, Cornsay colliery
Malton Colliery (owners of); Malton George Shipley, manager
Marsden, Geo., cowkpr., Newhouse, Hamsteels
Myers, Thos., butcher, Cornsay colliery
Norwood, Jph., post-office, Cornsay colliery
Norwood, J., jun., tailor
and tobacconist, Cornsay colliery
Puckering, Jas., horsekeeper, Cornsay cllry.
Robinson, Hy., cowkeeper, Cornsay
Howe, Jno., overman, Cornsay colliery
Smith, Geo., under-mgr., Hamsteels colliery
Smith, J., asst.-overseer, Esh village
Smith, Jph., heap keeper, Hamsteels colliery
Sterforth, Hy., foreman
mason, Cornsay cllry.
Storey, G. T., cabinetmaker and hardware dealer, Cornsay colliery
Teasdale, Jph., greengrocer, Quebec
Thompson, Jno. Geo., coke insptr., Hamsteels colliery
Towns, Ralph, grocer, Cornsay colliery
Wall, Rd., vict. Hamsteels Colliery Inn, Quebec
Ward, Mrs. Agnes, boot and shmker., Quebec
Wherley, G. A., draper, Cornsay colliery
Willis, W. Bolam, mgr. of
brnch. strs., Quebec
Holmes, Frank, Newhouse
Holmes, John, Rowley Gillett
The farmers in this parish will be found principally given under the townships of Esh, Cornsay, and Lanchester,
to which they belong.